Successful teams share several defining characteristics.
- Everyone on the team talks and listens in roughly equal measure, Keeping contribution short and sweet.
- Members face one another, and their conversations and gestures are energetic.
- Members connect directly with one another - not just with the team leader.
- Members carry on back-channel or side conversations within the team.
- Members periodically break , go exploring outside the team , and bring information back.
Individual reasoning and talent contribute far less to team success than one might expect. The best way to build a great team is not to select individuals for their smarts or accomplishments but to learn how they communicate and to shape and guide the team so that it follows successful communication patterns.